Saturday, August 30, 2008

30 August 08 - MasCas

We had a Mass Casualty Exercise yesterday (mascas for short). Though the exercise itself is useful, it's a pain in the neck. I knew that there would be one during the day, but the specific time was withheld for suprise's sake. And, of course, I forgot it was going to occur.

I was in the middle of writing an important report when things started "exploding" outside. I knew that it wasn't actually mortars or rockets because the explosions were too small, but I was just concerned enough to remember to go to my post. I threw on my "battlrattle" (helmet, armor, rifle, pistol) and went to my fighting position. As I sat there, I remembered that we were having the exercise, so I relaxed and settled in (they always take a while).

An hour and a half later the all-clear was given and I went back to my report. I'd just showered and put on clean clothes right before starting my report, and I returned to it filthy from having laid in the dirt for over an hour. Of course, just to make the exercise a little more inconvenient, the power had gone out for a moment in the exercise, shutting down the computer I was working on and losing all my work.

Moral of the story - save often.

No comments: