Friday, August 8, 2008

08 Aug 08 - 7 years and counting

Well, today is my seven year anniversary of my enlistment into the United States Army and Army National Guard. A lot has happened in those seven years. But looking back, I don't think I'd trade them for anything. This deployment and the year before it, I dare say, have influenced me more than the others (those are the years that I was in the army and married). In a way, you're married to the army and to your wife. Over those last couple years I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've come to realize that a married soldier is basically a bigamist - and bigamy is really difficult. Living with one wife is time consuming and can be challenging, but living with two (actual wife + army) is especially difficult. (This is in no way a knock on my wife, she's the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me.)

I've been told that wives eventually get used to having their husbands married to them as well as to the army and that Nikki will eventually get used to the pace of the army.

I don't want her to get used to it. I like her the way she is.

So I recently came to the conclusion that I can't live with two wives. It's too difficult. So I'm going to have to keep one of them and divorce the other. And, you know, even though I've had a longer relationship with the army than Nikki, and even though the army writes my checks and Nikki spends them, I get more out of my relationship with Nikki. So, I'm going to have to divorce the army. Unfortunately, the army doesn't accept divorces. Instead there's a bit of a prenuptial agreement - we go for eight years then decide if we want to continue our marriage. So I'm going to have to finish my eight years (one more to go) and end the deal.

Don't get me wrong. I love the army. It's been a great experience. I've learned things and gained experiences and friends that I would never have been able to without it. But it's taxing and time consuming. Perfect for the single type, not for the married.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to braindump. I feel better now.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Happy Anniversary ... although talking about divorce on your anniversary doesn't really qualify under the 'happy' heading. I am glad, however, that your divorce musings favor Nikki over the army, cuz there would be a pretty big problem otherwise.

Love you, bro! It was good to see you the other week!