Friday, August 15, 2008

15 August 08 - Range Day

Today was a nice, slow day. We had a range day. That's when we go to the shooting range and ensure that our weapons are all still zeroed (sighted in). I got a new sight for my M4. It's an ACOG. My old sight was a CCO, which has no magnification. The ACOG, however has 4x magnification. End result - I was more accurate and could acquire targets faster.

I wanted to see how much faster, so I tried out the army's 15 meter simulated qualification test. In this test you are given 40 rounds to try to hit 20 small targets that are 15 meters away twice each in 2 iterations that last 2 minutes. It basically simulates shooting at 40 targets for 4 minutes. It's not difficult, but it's a good way to see how accurate and fast you are. In order to make it a bit more fair (since I had magnification), I situated myself 25 meters back instead of 15. It didn't matter a bit. I hit all 40 targets in about 2 minutes, getting a perfect score in half the allotted time. Normally it'd take me at least 3 minutes, but just having that magnification greatly simplifies things.

2 comments:

Connie said...

You're impressive, but I already knew that. Love, Mom

sevenpennys said...

You're so awesome Hunny. I'm glad that it's all going so well:) I know you're a great shot!