Tuesday, August 19, 2008

19 August 08 - Mobile Phones

My life here would be a lot harder if not for the mobile phone. I have a cell phone of my own here and it's a great asset. I can call my wife, my mom (except she's never home), or just about anybody I want. However, the mobile phone has one issue in the middle east...it's not that mobile.

For example: My phone works in only three locations on my FOB. That means if I want to talk to anybody, I have to be inside three points that are all about the size of a phone booth.

Also: In order for anybody to get a hold of me, I need (of course) to be inside one of my invisible phone booths. Since the phone booths are off the beaten path, chances are that I won't be reachable unless I'm already using the phone, in which case I probably don't want to be bothered by another phone call.

Finally: (This doesn't really apply to the mobile factor) The network here goes down on a regular basis. I'll never know if the phone will work until I wander to my phone booth and try it out. Usually it does, but for the last 4 days or so it hasn't.

Despite their shortcomings, cell phones are great to have here.

2 comments:

sevenpennys said...

I'm so glad that you have one. I love hearing from you:). I love you!

Connie said...

I am too home, sometimes. You can always try the cell. You probably can't change into Superman in your booth. Oh, you already are Superman. Love, Mom