Tuesday, August 12, 2008

12 August 08 - Goats and Money

Have you ever been asked to watch a man's goat? Today I was added to the short list of americans who have. A midget came to the FOB today and asked me if I could watch his goat for him. I'm not sure why he chose to ask me, but all I could say was, "Sorry, we don't do that hear." After a moment of reflection, the guy looked up at me and said, "Ok, then can I have 400 dollars?" I laughed out-loud. My interpreter was giggling a little bit too. I had to ask, so I said, "What do you need 400 dollars for and why do you think that I'd give it too you." He said, "Well the americans are here to help right? I need 400 dollars so I can buy some guns."
I asked, "Do you have a permit for those guns?"
-"No"
-"Then I guess I can't help you."
At this point I thought that the conversation was over, but I was wrong.
-"Can I have 400 dollars anyway?"
-"What do you want it for, now?" (I couldn't resist.)
-"I'll think of something."
I tried to think up an answer that he could clearly understand, but just couldn't. I opened my mouth to speak a couple times, but nothing came out. He just kept looking up at me with puppy eyes. After a bit I just succumbed to the irresistible urge to laugh. I just laughed, shook my head, then walked away. I didn't know what else to do.

3 comments:

sevenpennys said...

Sounds like you had quite the day. I don't know if I could've handled that situation any differently. That must of been hilarious.

Mandi said...

You wouldn't watch the man's goat? I can't believe that! What are you over there for, then, if not to watch the goats?

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Can I have 400 dollars? I promise I won't buy guns, and I won't ask you to watch my goat. In fact, I'll watch your goat for 400 dollars.