Sunday, August 24, 2008

25 August 08 - Politics in War

Yes, I realize it's been a while since I've updated my blog. I've been around and well, but I was subjected to what is called a communications blackout. Basically what that means is that no soldier is allowed to call, write, or email home until the "blackout" is lifted. The reason the blackouts are instigated is usually because a soldier somewhere got hurt or killed, so the army doesn't want anybody writing home until the family of the casualty is informed. Unfortunately, the blackouts apply to all soldiers under a single Task Force, meaning that if a person who I don't know and have never heard of and is 100's of miles away from me gets hurt, I can't call or write home. The logic is sound, but the method is horrible. Case in point - I have known only 2 of the last 20 soldiers that were involved in incidents that sparked blackouts, meaning that I wouldn't have anything to write home about anyway. Second, hearing that there's a blackout only makes people wonder. Everytime somebody says we're in blackout status I think, "Who got hurt?" If I was told nothing, I would be none the wiser. Third, I tell people that I'll try to call on certain days, so when I don't call, they start worrying and wondering if I'm all right.

Also, since I'm on my soapbox, what's with all the political games we play messing up successes, no matter how small, of soldiers. For example, not too long ago I was part of a group that captured an insurgent who was high on a "wanted list". Not a week later this individual was let go because of a political game with corrupt officials. I have a hard time tolerating my work being undone because the man I captured has dirt on a governor or mayor or some scumbag politician who bought his position with dirty money. It's hard to fight a war for people (meaning politicians) and those who put them in power (meaning voters) who are trying to fight a war devoid of adverse consequences. I am often aggravated by news articles condemning the war because there was a bombing or a firefight that resulted in the death of civilians. Well guess what, I don't like it either, but when insurgents run into a house and shoot at soldiers from it, they blow it up. If there's somebody inside, sorry. But we're not going to, nor should we have to, leave terrorists alone just because the person housing them might get hurt. People die in war, and they're unfortunately not always soldiers. Until the average politician, voter, or any person can accept that we'll just run in circles playing a political game that we gave the misnomer "war".

Sorry about the rant, but I had to get it off my chest. I don't claim to have a golden answer that will make all our problems in the middle east go away (I don't believe a win-win solution for all exists), but at least I'm doing the best I can until someone by some miracle finds it.

No comments: